Saturday, July 03, 2004

Cell vs Base

I'm not very good at keeping this blog up to date but life has been very hectic recently. Now that the Pursuing Excellence project has finished I may have some more time.

I've been thinking about cell groups and base ecclesial communities. Both offer a fresh expression of church but each has a different orientation. I guess that this is partly because of their background. Cell seems focused on growth while base majors on service. This dichotomy doesn't seem very biblical. When I hear, as I did recently, an evangelical minister say that we must remember that we are not here to offer a social services programme I get worried. Church growth is required by the great commission but not at the expense of living a kingdom life. There is a temptation to simply combine base & cell to provide a more holistic form of small group. The fact that this hasn't been done suggests that it's not quite that simple so I will resist the temptation to offer simplistic suggestions - for the time being at least.

There is another key difference between cell & base: the way that leadership is exercised. Cell replicates a hierarchical leader/led status model while base has a collaborative role-based model. The collaborative model seems more postmodern and more congenial to me at the moment. But I do not want to assert that it is superior or more biblical because I believe that we see both forms of leadership offered there.

An advantage of the status model is that a leader may be better equipped to hold the vision and manage the boundaries than collaborative leadership. On the other hand, cells often fail because they cannot grow leaders fast enough; perhaps a collaborative model could cope better with multiplication by division. Yet base groups do not seem to have a desire to grow.

I do get a sense that a dialogue between the two approaches should be fruitful. Has this happened? Can it happen in my head? I will continue to explore and try to get a sense of what might emerge from such a dialogue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home